Tag Archives: family

Project Nursery Is Finished!

Part of the reason for the silence on our blog the past two months has a lot to deal with the fact that we’re expecting our first child (due on Nov. 7th). In order to prep the room we chose for the nursery, a lot of fore work had to be done, in large part due to the fact that it looked like there was a broken floor joist that needed to be sistered somehow to a stronger one.

Knee-wall above the stairs. (Oh, and Belle helped with a lot of this.)

To do the work on the floor, we had to remove the knee wall that went around the top of the stairs. I was ecstatic to find that my idea of this area originally being a loft was spot on when we uncovered dowel holes for the railing underneath the wall. What I wasn’t impressed with finding were that these walls were just one inch by one inch posts with cheap paneling thrown up over it. That seems like a safety issue to me.

Here you can see where the railing from along the loft area originally was.

I’ll make the longest stage of all this work into the briefest possible description I can, as it took a long time for the Joe and I to do, especially with my slowly receding lack of mobility. We had to pull up the carpet and sub-floor, which meant taking out the hallway wall as that wall had apparently been put up after they worked on the floor.

Pulling up the plywood underneath was a pain as it kept splintering and coming out piece by piece. However, the beauty beneath was well worth it! Even though the boards are relatively beaten up and the paint is wearing off, we were both happy to see wide pine board underneath the plywood. Once these boards were revealed, we decided that there was no way we were putting rug back in the room, especially after what Joe found when he got into the floor itself to check the joist: there are actually two layers of pine board that make up the floor. This is in the older part of the house (1920s) and once again proves that modern day designs have nothing over the longevity and planning of the older ones!

After prying up a few boards, Joe was able to peer in and figured that it looked like the joist had been worked on at one point, but to figure out what had been done and how to go about adding more support in the floor itself would be a huge undertaking and would possibly risk ruining the floor. We decided that it would be in our best interest to go with our back-up plan of putting in a column off the stairs to help support the floor. Needless to say, it’s a good thing we had already worked on fixing around the stairs way back when.

Once the floor was supported, Joe went on to build the knee wall, hallway wall, and install a door, which was something the room never had previously. Everything came out wicked! While it was definitely a learning process, things went much more smoothly than I thought they would.

While all this was going on, we decided to remove the rest of the cheap paneling in the room and paint over the horsehair plaster. We were blessed with receiving some left over paint from some friends of ours that just had their first child this summer. All we had to do was buy trim paint.

Needless to say, this is all “old news.” For those of you that know us in “real life” or that have friended me on Facebook know that the “nursery” is no longer the “nursery” and is not Vaughn’s room.

Seeing how this is also the first update in a very long time, I’ll leave you all with this wonderful smile!

Advertisements

Welcome Home!

While there will hopefully be a full page dedicated to this wonderful machine, we wanted to give an official welcome to a member of the Raymond (Eventual) Homestead who had been off in another area of the state for far too long.

Welcome home, “Bessie!”

(I’m the only one that calls her that; Joe refuses to.) She’s a1954 John Deere 40T.

This tractor was originally Joe’s grandfather’s when he worked on the dairy farm. Joe’s Uncle Lloyd had the tractor for a while after that and was using it as a wood hauler. We’re blessed to have such a wonderful piece of family and mechanical history which we one day hope to use on our own land.

My brother was awesome enough to grab a trailer from an acquaintance of his for us to use and to tow the beast with his truck. There were a few small issues along the way, which happens with every major move of an object of such size. For example, in photos of the tractor on the ramp, you can see the wheel bulging over the edge a little. (Once again, these images will be included in a page specifically about the tractor.) We could only use one ramp because of their design. After the front wheels were on, the lights needed to come off the trailer and the ramps needed to be lined up to the back tires. We had to use the Ranger as the power source for the wench. It ended up draining the Ranger’s battery to the point that we had to coast her down the second driveway to jump-start her.

The following is Joe’s short little tale about the tractor, which sums it up all very nicely.

“My grandfather purchased this tractor at an estate sale in 1958. He used it on the farm until the mid 1960s, then he used it for plowing snow at his home in New Sharon until 1970 or so. It was then parked until the early 1990s when my unle Lloyd got it running again and started using it for firewood on his property (just 1 mile up the street from grampa’s). In the fall of 2000 it stopped working for him (due to a clog in the carburetor) and that same fall my uncle hurt his back. He decided to just leave it parked. I started working on it in fall 2009 and drove it out of the woods after a week of laboring on it when I had time. Now it’s at our home in Norridgewock, awaiting even more fixing.”

Hopefully we’ll be able to go back and collect the implements that go to the tractor before snow fall, but as it’s already November, it might have to wait until spring.